Case Study – Automotive
Dashboard Vehicle User Interface
A micro-computer that displays vehicle’s parameters beyond your dashboard gauges with VUI (Vehicle User Interfaces) to control and configure automotive components. Our software works as the HMI for different modules like, a tuning module (to control and configure diesel engines), a braking module which is used for fast acting brakes (based on regenerative braking technology), CAN-USB bridge module which converts CAN to USB and vice versa.
A leading aftermarket automotive performance enhancing product manufacturer.
The product is a PND (Personal Navigation Device) with 5” touch display running on Windows CE operating system with/without USB OTG (On The Go) connectivity. Some of the features of the dashboard PC include:
- Adjusting power levels, braking intensity and controlling downhill cruise speed(using tuner and braking modules)
- Custom tuning for various vehicle performance parameters
- Measuring vehicle performance
- Displays altitude and GPS corrected speed
- Alerts when critical engine parameters exceed a predefined boundary
- Displays OBD-II codes and descriptions
- Bluetooth handsfree
- Additional features include MS Office suite, audio and video capability and Gaming options
Accel North America provided the client with telematic and infotainment services. With our understanding of different technologies, we enabled the customer to come up with unique features. The key technologies addressed in this project cover automotive standards, short-range wireless protocols, communication protocols, popular mobile OS, graphics and HMI. This is a classic example of re-engineering services touching all features of a product to enable our client to reach out to a bigger market.
Some of the features include:
- Reengineering of a module’s GUI to fit into the new display format by incorporating different gauge styles and advanced graphics
- Re-coding of the modules from NSBASIC to C++
- Porting the application to Windows CE 5.0/6.0 and Android OS
- Carry out verification and validation of the re-engineered application in the lab
- PC based simulator for testing the application in the lab
- Software communicates with the vehicle modules through USB interface.
- Developed a bridge and firmware which efficiently converts the USB packets to RS-432 format which is desirable for vehicle modules. Also, developed a module that enabled the bridge to host the OBD parameter table
- Development of Bluetooth messaging module for the Windows CE 6.0 device.
- Developed USB host/device stacks which can be used in multiple firmware platforms.
- Development and enhancement ofintelligent universal vehicle user interface and associated software application.
- Developed modules to allow users to select either a time based or distance based report, allow for data export, and record reaction time.
- Development of modules for Bluetooth handsfree, GPS corrected speed, control environments, music/video player modules etc.
- Provided with cost-effective, flexible and timely solution.
- Expertise in CAN/ISO 15765, SAE J1979/ISO 15031-5, ISO 14229 and ISO 14230-4 enabled customer to reduce product time to market.
- UTP (Universal Telematics Platform) helped customer in quick development of cutting-edge telematics applications.
Key Customer Value